Our Family Story


Translate

A plug for Christmas Markets


(our souvenirs - hats!!)


Castle Guteneck vicinity of Nabburg/Upper Palatinate


This was our first Christmas market.  The kids loved it because of the pony rides ... I mean who wouldn't be excited to ride a pony?!  Also, this market had a man on stilts that kept teasing us - the kids thought he was so silly!  There were also Camel rides that we missed ... next year right?  I mean, when will you ever get another chance to ride a camel?

I recommend wearing warm clothes.  I always see the German children bundled up to the hills, snow boots and all. I have now come to realize that they are not just paranoid about being cold - it's NECESSARY!  After this Christmas market I immediately started researching the 'sleeping bags' that I see in every German stroller.  We had a miserably cold little girl that would have been perfectly warm and snug if we had a stroller sleeping bag.  We were in the car with the heater on full blast at 4:30 PM.  





Nurnberg Christmas Market

I recommend taking the train if at all possible.  We parked our car at the station and traveled 30 minutes by train.  It was great - no traffic, no stress about finding a parking space, the $$ spent for traveling and parking probably evened out for the train tickets, and the kids had a great adventure.

I also recommend going early and leaving shortly after it gets dark.  It got really crowded when the sun went down, too crowded for us when you have 5 kids in tow.  Also it got cold - wear long johns under your clothes, and (again) bundle up.   This time we were prepared and it paid off.

Isn't it charming though?! 

I love the atmosphere of the markets!  I love the Christmas season!

There is a huge Child section in Nurnberg ... we noticed it on our way home, AFTER we bought all the kids souvenirs ... oops, next time definitely!

1 comments:

Stephanie Saunders said...

I'm so glad you guys got your pick, but OH, how I miss you guys!

Even Miles.

Post a Comment